By understanding each component of a drone, you will have extra confidence when flying. In other languages, that knowledge will guide you in understanding and overcoming problems while flying.
Drone components are essential parts that are integrated to produce good flight operations and take imagery.
When the drone breaks down, you know which components to check, repair, upgrade, or replace in the worst-case scenario.
Basic Drone Component: Part by Part and the Principal Technology
To understand the components of the UAV, a component diagram that MakeZine.com has can be your essential reference. Here’s a diagram of the drone’s components:
- A and B: Propellers. In a 4-motor drone, the two propellers rotate in a counterclockwise direction. Meanwhile, the other two propellers move clockwise.
- C and D: Motor and Motor Mount. The motor is the component that makes and increases the power of the working propeller.
- E. Landing Gear or Foot. Components that keep drone cameras away from dirt. Its function can also be a drone frame holder
- F. Boom or sleeve. This arm of the drone has two interchangeable functions, namely for stabilization and maneuvering.
- G. Frame or main body. The mainframe of a drone. Generally, drone frames are of two types, namely 4-motor frames and 6-motor frames.
- H. Electronic Speed Controller (ESC). The function of the ERC is to regulate the motor speed of the drone.
- I. Flight Controller. This component is the central component of UAV because all UAV control programming is here, such as autopilot control, battery monitor, and camera control.
- J. GPS Module. These components of a drone are the direction navigator and autonomous flight mode guide. On some of the more sophisticated UAVs, satellite-connected technology is available.
- K. Receiver. Drone components for radio signal processing. A drone usually needs four receivers. But generally, drones have five receivers.
- L. Antenna. Components to receive radio signals to be delivered to the receiver.
- M. Battery. Lithium polymer (LiPo) batteries are the standard material used as a power source for UAVs.
- N. Battery Monitor. Its function is to monitor the battery level used by the UAV.
- O. Camera Gimbal. This component functions as a camera holder as well as a centre for camera movement in various directions.
- P. Motor Gimbal. Balancing components to increase the UAV’s stabilization for shock resistance.
- Q. Gimbal Controller. Components for controlling the gimbal in the UAV.
- R. Camera. The drone division that makes drones are used in various types of visual needs.
- S. Sensors. These drone components provide images other than visuals, such as images of heat, lidar, and so on. So, UAVs are not just for the sake of visual imagery.
FPV Drone Components
One of the drone technologies in the civil and commercial world that makes a significant difference is the FPV drone. There is an increase in the quality, type, and components of FPV drones depending on their user needs.
In general, FPV drones are for freestyle flying, FPV racing, and aerial photography. Of course, the use of FPV drones is not limited to that. However, FPV drones are used for the needs and utilization of more leverage drones than conventional drones.
There is an upgrade to the FPV drone component with maximum use and utilization, which is much more optimal. Here are three components of FPV drones that make a difference from conventional drones:
- FPV goggles. The FPV goggles are a visual device that pilots use to experience the visual imagery of the drone firsthand. So, these glasses will feel like a virtual reality headset.
- Flight Camera. The flight camera component is the camera that becomes the pilot’s eye on the drone. What is captured by the flight camera will be conveyed directly to the FPV glasses.
- Radio Receiver and Radio Controller. These two components function to convey and receive commands via radio signals.
In addition to the three components of the FPV drone above, several other components have improved in quality, such as gimbals, batteries, motors, etc.
Drone Components Price
If you are trying to build a drone or one of your drone fragments is damaged and cannot be repaired, buying drone components is the solution.
Buying also means considering the price. Therefore, knowledge about the cost of drone components also needs to be mastered.
Some sellers of drone components can give prices below the official fee. Others can offer significant discounts, or other sellers can provide secondary but excellent quality components.
However, the price considerations are entirely up to you. It’s just that there is a principle that price determines quality. Of course, this principle is not absolute. But most of the drone components on the market adhere to this principle.
For reference, below are the prices of 5 drone components on the Amazon website. The final price you get still depends on taxes and shipping costs to your domicile area.
- Mainframe or body: In general, drone quadcopters are the most widely used type of frame. You can get this central component of a drone in the $100 to $300 price range. The price of the frame largely depends on the primary material. There are plastic, aluminium, and carbon fibre.
- Motor and motor mount: Motor prices can divide into 2, namely brushed motors, which tend to be cheaper. In contrast, brushless motors tend to be more expensive. You can get a brushed motor for $20 and a brushless motor for $100.
- Propeller. These components of a drone can be very draining on the wallet because it is fragile and breaks quickly. Hence, you sometimes have to buy it several times. You can get propellers for $5 to $50.
- Battery. The power source of this drone depends on the type of material used and the strength when used. You can get batteries for $7 to $170.
- Camera gimbal: If you have a camera for a drone, the camera gimbal component is a must. The price of a camera gimbal is in the $65 to $531 range.
The price of drone parts varies significantly due to various factors. So, there is no general pattern of buying drone components. You have to identify the drone brand, budget, component integration into the drone, component stock in the market, component brand, country of production, and so on.
With identification, we will at least get the current best components for drones. There will likely be several failures to combine these factors, so the part you buy will disappoint.
Suppose you have difficulty considering the factors above. In that case, there is nothing wrong with consulting with a drone pilot or drone service provider. Beehive Drone can be one of your consultants to consider the above factors.
You can contact us to get the best recommendations for the drone components you need. Instagram and social media Beehive Drones are very open for those of you who want to consult about drones.